Thursday, June 26, 2014

Old White Dudes of Antiquity

Allow me to introduce you to my friend, Portrait of a Man in a Turban, by Jan Van Eyck.  He was painted in 1433 which might not technically classify as "antiquity" but it sounds funny in the title so it stays.


In an effort to break out of yet another one of my storied "funks" I've decided to copy our friend here.  Not only did I draw him but I'm going to paint him, too.

You may never get to see that... it all depends on how it goes.

You see, while teaching my art class this morning, I jumped in with my students and began painting the same thing they were.  I soon felt relaxed and was having fun... and naturally, I wondered why.  The answer? Because I didn't care what it looked like and I was just having fun.

I have fun all the time.  Doing the dishes, driving in the car, sitting at work. I keep myself amused. But fun with art got lost somewhere in the middle of acquiring a four year degree in it.  When it comes to art I'm mostly uptight, tense, and put too much pressure on myself.  I've got to break the cycle.

Which brings us back to our red head-dressed friend, here.  I'm a fan of the Northern Renaissance period and I've always been struck by this painting.  In fact, I'll be going to visit him in London's National Gallery very soon.

So here we go... sketched in Painter... color yet to be added.


No comments:

Post a Comment