Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 456 - New Plan

This blog began out of necessity.  I had to make myself publicly accountable to draw something every day.  It was the only way to shake off the rust and apathy I had allowed to build up over the course of several years.  It worked beautifully and has quite literally changed my life in a most positive way and set me back on track.

 I feel good and I’m having fun again.

That being said, I feel like I need to take a slightly different approach now that I’ve got myself habitually drawing again.  I need to figure out what it is that I DO.  I need to develop a style and some cohesion in my work.  I need to improve my Painter techniques and work through my many rough areas.  Working through issues and trouble spots will produce a lot of iffy work… it’s a natural part of the process.  This is my way of saying that I’m not going to post something every day just because I HAVE to according the criteria that I initially set for myself.  I’m changing the parameters!

As I said, my new goal is to now figure out what my “thing” is.  I’m stylistically inconsistent.  I need to pick something, stick with it, and improve on it.  I love anything (persons/art/movies/TV) that’s intelligent and funny.  You want me to love you? Be funny and be smart about it.  I’ve got a modicum amount of brains in my head and a somewhat unorthodox sense of humor.  I’d love to combine those two things into something that *I* would love if someone else made it instead of me. 

So that’s my goal for this year.  I still intend to post several times a week, just not EVERY day if I don’t have anything worth showing off.  I have a network of people who will keep me accountable (i.e. smack me silly) should I slip back into apathy, although I sincerely doubt that that will happen again.

I also need to change the title of this blog to something more fitting of my adjusted outlook.  I've got to piece that one together, too.

SO... down to today's business.  It's a redo of yesterday's suggestion from Josh: Bigfoot on a Bicycle.  I didn't want to do it but he's taking me to London this year so I've gotta be extra super-duper nice to him or he might change his mind... and I'll go alone... and no one wants that.


No comments:

Post a Comment