Saturday, October 12, 2013

Day 389 - Negative Nancy & Debbie Downer

Well... As I said previously, I painted a mural today.  More accurately, I painted half of a mural today.

Every time I've ever painted a mural I go through the same stages.... Stage 1 is feeling good about the project as I start drawing on the wall. Stage 2 gets a little hesitant. By the time we get to stage 3 I've hit full blown panic and my brain starts dumping copious amounts of chemicals into my bloodstream that tell me that this time is finally "that one" that I can't do. That I'll mess up so badly the homeowners will have to repaint over it.  That I'm a fraud and why is someone paying me to do this, again?  Stage 4 I calm down and things go fine.

Today, friends, was Stage 3 from the start and for the next five hours.  My paint was acting oddly with the wall paint, I couldn't get a good cover, I couldn't get my colors mixed properly, etc.  I didn't move anywhere near as fast as I thought I would so, needless to say, I didn't finish today.  Fortunately, my clients are friends and lovely people and they don't mind me invading their home again on Monday night to finish what I wasn't able to today.

I must possess some personality flaw that causes me to allow myself to be affected by my own shortcomings in such a way that it ruins my entire weekend.  I've been haunted all day by the prospect of finishing this thing.

I don't even have any pictures to show you because, as I discovered right before leaving this morning, our camera died and my only other camera is on Josh's phone, an hour north, as he's out of town for the weekend.

So to sum up... it's been a craptastic day.  I'm still taking tomorrow off... I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment