Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 236 - One of My Favorite People

For quite a while now I've wanted to do some piece of art or illustration featuring my late grandmother, Ethel.  I have in my head what I want to do but sadly I'm not (yet) skilled enough to execute it to my standards.  I thought I'd start circling around it today.

My grandmother (I called her "Nanny" as a child and then "Nan" as I got older) and I were very close.  I'm an only child and I'm blessed to not only have two terrific parents to whom I'm very close but to have grown up in a house with a live-in grandmother as well.  She was a heck of a woman, a heck of a cook and I miss her like crazy every day of the almost nine years she's been gone.

Anyway, here's a picture of she and I from somewhere around 11 years ago.  This picture sums up our relationship better than any words could.  We teased each other relentlessly.


My skill level is not anywhere close to where it needs to be for me to do something that could properly honor Nan.  I'm working on it... I'm getting there.  For now, I did a tentative sketch based on this picture but with the rest of her face filled in.


No comments:

Post a Comment