Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 232 - Mad at Math

Yesterday's drawing turned out to be therapeutic so I thought today I'd tackle my second least favorite school subject: MATH.

I've been a voracious reader for as long as I've been able to hold a book.  I was reading at a high school level when I was in first grade.  I've always had a solid vocabulary and a somewhat more than cursory grasp on the English language.  Math, though... in my own personal vernacular math has always been a profane four letter word.

During my sixth grade year (the last year before the transition to middle school) everyone in my class had to take a test to determine what math track each person would be on in the next year.  I was in the gifted program as were the majority of my friends.  The test results arrived and all of my gifted class friends made it to pre-algebra while I was condemned to the decidedly substratal "basic math".  Enter childhood trauma.

The funny thing is, is that I never received terrible math grades... almost always B's.  In my adult life, though, numbers don't stay in my head.  I can't remember them for any length of time and I can't do the most basic of math problems without a calculator.  It's embarrassing.

Good thing I can draw, 'cause I can vent even just a little of my frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment