Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 153 - Mirror, Mirror

As I've previously stated, I'm not great at faces... especially when they have to look like a particular person. I don't like to draw people for this reason because if I don't do it right I run the risk of offending someone so it's easier just to stay out of it. I could practice and get better, right? Nah... it's been easier just to say that "I don't do caricatures."

I don't want to have to say that anymore.  So today I stuck a mirror in front of myself and tried to draw my own face (rather than offend anyone else).  I've got large, cartoon like features (I hear my mother "tsking" me already) so I thought it might make it easier.

I haven't had to draw myself since college (eight + years ago) and it didn't really get any easier.  I had a hard time sitting down and looking at my dumb face for an hour or so.  Here's what I came up with, though.


The most accurate one, I think, is the one in the upper left corner. The full face in the middle doesn't look like me at all - I don't know what happened there.  I was chastised a few times in college by one of my drawing teachers for making my eyes "too bright" but I have big, cartoony eyes... it is what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment