Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Introduction...


I’ve started this blog mostly for myself because once upon a time I didn’t have to force myself to draw every day.  I have a BFA from the Columbus College of Art & Design and graduated in May of 2004.  Since then I’ve allowed myself to reach varying degrees of rusty.  There are times when I have commissions and drawing every day isn’t as much of a problem… then there are the times when I don’t have anything and I don’t DO anything.  I’ve become quite skilled in the fine art of stagnation.  This isn’t a new problem for me and I’m genuinely attempting to fix it by having to keep myself publicly accountable to produce SOMETHING every day.  It’s difficult to have to play catch up with myself when I'm asked to do something.  If I was just practiced and ready in the first place maybe I wouldn’t feel like such a fraud.  I’m to the point when I can’t even doodle anymore… I’m creatively constipated. 

This is hard to do for me… it’s hard to know how rusty I am and to still put myself out there.  My brain operates very well on visual evidence of progress so I’m hoping to be able to get this going long enough so that I can scroll through and prove to myself that I’m getting better.  I’m not looking for praise… heck, I’m not even looking for an audience… I’m just looking to better myself and hopefully break an embarrassing habit that I wrestle with. 

(The previous two paragraphs shall henceforth be known as the “Woe Is Me” intro.) 

So here goes… 

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, Sarah! I've often thought of doing something similar with photography. I find that getting started is really challenging, but then I feel so good once I've produced something interesting (at least to me). I look forward to seeing what you come up with and the progress you make through this commitment. Yea you!

    ReplyDelete